Are you ready to hire a Social Media Manager?
Social Media strategy, planning, and execution represent an entire new field that cuts across traditional marketing, communications, public relations, and networking practices. If your organization has identified the need to take your social media marketing and communications to a new level, it may be time to think about hiring a Social Media Manager.
Exactly which skills and competencies make up this strange role? Admittedly, the role itself will continue to evolve as the technology landscape continues to shift, but below is a job description that you may want to use as template, making customizations to suit your organization's unique needs.
Manage, Monitor and Engage in Social Media/Online Communities:
- Passionately in tune with latest social media developments, online member behavior and trends
- Own Social Media, Online Communities, Blogs, Microblogs Message Boards, Email or listserv Discussion Groups and Live Chats to generate exposure, publicity and membership, event participation, and e-commerce
- Identify opportunities and develop plans/proposals for implementing scalable social media programs to generate maximum social media optimization with goal to establish association web site stickiness
- Work with Leadership team on messaging to ensure compelling, consistent, innovative and favorable interactions and programs
- Devise and implement appropriate campaigns for social media activities
- Define and track performance of campaign testing and live campaigns
- Provide regular reports to internal stakeholders on campaigns and social media metrics
- Provide recommendations and champion action derived from analysis
- Use knowledge gained through analysis to provide insight on forecasting, budgeting and social media marketing direction
Membership and Marketing Communications:
- Develop FAQs, messaging, and talking points consistent with brand quidelines and champion them throughout the organizationM
- Coordinate, support, and summarize valuable teleconference channel
- Continually work to develop and/or improve efficiencies in internal membership, web, and marketing operations processes
- Other duties as assigned
- Demonstrated capacity for original thinking and independent initiative
- Bachelor's Degree in Marketing, Communication or other closely related degree
- Experience with experience with web 2.0 related products a must
- Experience creating, evaluating, analyzing and optimizing marketing campaigns
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Knowledge of ecommerce, and internet-based business models
- Must be an enthusiastic and avid social media/internet community guru
- 2+ years experience working with brand messaging, public relations, or membership marketing communications
- Proven project management forte with successful program implementations and deliveries
- Possess strong understanding of marketing analysis and reporting
- Must have great creative energy and ability to generate ideas
- Ability to work under minimal guidance
- Proven track record of meeting deadlines and deliverables
The ideal candidate will have some prior experience managing association social network strategies (Facebook, LinkedIn, and MySpace); must understand member/user engagement, online media, creative and the challenge of tying effective community strategies into engagement opportunities. Experience with online marketing would be a bonus. In addition, candidates should possess great interpersonal skills; an ability to juggle multiple tasks and excellent time management skills.
Save the Date for DigitalNow 2010! April 7 -10, 2010.
Follow DigitalNow on Twitter.
Contribute to the DigitalNow blog. Suggest a blog topic, or reference an article or other item you think would be of interest to the DigitalNow community. Drop us a line at DigitalNow@fusionproductions.com